7-year hiatus in summary (Part 1)

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

How do I even begin? It has been too long that I've properly blogged since I put my original blogspot in lock down circa 2010. Along the years, I did pen down some thoughts/rants here and there: new blogspot (which is this page), Facebook, Tumblr, Dayre, Twitter; and in the recent years, Instagram and Insta-story. Like they say, a picture paints a thousand words.

I've actually been thinking about it for some time now (months, if not years haha), but the procrastinator in me kept saying, "later-lah". And the site looked too old school anyway and it takes up too much time to edit the template. So finally, after finallyyyy, I got around to changing the template after many hit and misses with the html codes (they suck), it's a tad nicer now. At least the site looks like something from 2018 rather than zaman kuno (ancient time).

The reason for the comeback?

I miss having a platform to write down about my everyday boring life for my future boring self to read about my previous boring days. LOL. Also, to save my English writing skills (which has gone down the drain along with all the vocabs that I barely have a chance to use. My only form of writing these days are reports on audit findings. Meh).

The real reason?

I'm more matured now (I guess) and come to realise that I should care less about certain things and don't be afraid to give my 2 cents. I'll get back to this.

So, here we go.

A lot has happened and didn't happen in the past 7+ years. Decided to summarise it in 3 parts: work, life and love. It will probably be all mixed up at one point because not everything is clear cut anyway.

Part 1 - In the corporate world

Joined one of the Big 4 in the late 2010. That was when I decided to keep my posts from my Form 6 and college/uni days in lock down. Mainly because I was worried about how my childish writings may have affect my "corporate image". How can I remember all that I have written all those years ago.

Learned a lot in my 4 years+ stint there. Met some really nice colleagues which turned into good friends. I'd say I was quite lucky because I was part of a somewhat close knit team and there wasn't much office politics that I needed to deal with. The best advice I received was to be confident. And if I'm not, just fake it until I got it.

Managed to convert my ACCA Affiliate status to Member status smoothly since it was a recognised employer. Now, I just have to continue paying the fees in GBP and complete 40 hours of CPD until I'm six feet under. No biggie.

Of course working in an audit firm, one can only imagine what the hours are like. Late nights (or early mornings) during peak period. Had 1 major accident in one of those many late nights on the way home where I crashed into the back of an Unser. It was 2 am. The takeaway from this incident was to never, never get out from the car when you are alone. Especially if you are a female driver. And in the middle of the night. Just wait in the car until your husband/boyfriend/father/brother/uncle/guy friend (in my case, my guy senior!) come for your rescue.

As good as it lasted in the firm, I knew that it was time to move on. Not a partner material anyway. And Mom has always been nagging about the long hours at work and not having enough time for personal life.

2015 seen some big changes in all 3 parts. Work, life and love. Haha. We'll get there for the other 2 parts.

In that same week, Wednesday I was going to work at one place and Friday I was going to work at a new place. Nobody paid for my New Year's Day public holiday though. Bummer. New environment and new industry for me. Thought that I'd just give it a try and it was wayyy nearer to home. Mom's happy. Guess what?! I'm still here after 3 years. When I first started, it was kinda difficult to adapt to the work culture difference. Truly understood the meaning of "work is work and colleagues are colleagues". Had to slow down my pace. But it has started to pick up in the past year. Hope for the best.

That said, there were some new experiences I gained here. Like having to perform in Chinese New Year luncheon and year end Annual Dinner. My last on-stage dances were at least a good 18 years ago during my tambourine years at church. Getting to travel outstation and overseas like Vietnam and Melbourne was quite okay, despite the fact that they were actually work trips.



P.S. I can't figure out how to add in the "Read more" in the post entry. And I have no idea why the font is sibeh (very) tiny after the pictures.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels